NABSE Executive Director
The National Alliance of Black School Educators (NABSE) is seeking interested candidates for the position of Executive Director. The Executive Director serves as the key management leader of NABSE. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programming and strategic planning of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The Executive Director will be directly responsible to and work with the elected President and NABSE Board of Directors towards the mission and vision of the organization. The successful candidate must be a member of NABSE.
1) Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading NABSE in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission and goals as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of NABSE, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support NABSE’s mission.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of NABSE’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that NABSE can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of NABSE’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations. Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate and efficient.
- Collaborate with the NABSE President and Treasurer for the signing of notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Executive Director, NABSE shall recruit from a variety of sources in order to attract a diversity of candidates.
- Within ten days following the Board of Directors meeting, the Executive Director will meet with staff to update them on the outcome of that meeting.
- Any employee may be required to undergo an appropriate examination by a physician designated by the Executive Board
- The Executive Director shall make every effort to find the most highly qualified candidates available to fill vacancies which arise in the staff of NABSE. NABSE staff shall be informed by the posting of vacancies and will have an opportunity to apply for any vacancies.
- Recruitment of candidates for staff vacancies will be consistent with NABSE's equal opportunity policy.
- The Executive Director shall hire staff with prior approval of the Personnel Committee and final ratification of the Board of Directors.
- The Executive Director shall establish an evaluation procedure for employees.
- The Executive Director shall be guided by the terms and conditions in his/her contract regarding employment outside of NABSE.
5) Ensure continued success and continued growth of NABSE’s annual conference. Represent and promote NABSE’s activities within the communities where our programs have been implemented locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Create and maximize community and public relations, marketing and media opportunities;
publicize programmatic accomplishments and research results.
- Promote institutional collaboration and build strong relationships with community
organizations and government agencies through both face-to-face and remote avenues.
6) Other duties as assigned by the NABSE President and/or the Board of Directors.
- Masters degree or higher advanced degree in education, business administration, or other professional background to adequately assume the required responsibilities.
- Current or past experience with human capital for an organization
- Current or past experience with fiscal integrity for an organization.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Five or more years of demonstrated leadership in an educational organization
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of NABSE’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
Salary negotiable based on experience
Terms of Contract:
The National Alliance of Black School Educators is an equal opportunity employer offering employment and opportunity for advancement without regard to race, creed, color, gender, sexual preference, marital status, religion, gender, national origin, political affiliation, age or disability.
The National Alliance of Black School Educators (NABSE) is the nation's premier non-profit organization devoted to furthering the academic success for the nation's children - particularly children of African descent. Now in its 38th year, NABSE boasts an outreach to more than 10,000 preeminent educators including teachers, administrators, superintendents as well as corporate and institutional members. Founded in 1970, NABSE is dedicated to improving both the educational experiences and accomplishments of African American youth through the development and use of instructional and motivational methods that increase levels of inspiration, attendance and overall achievement.